The Design Throwdown results are in and the winner is Team Ahoy! We only won by a small margin, so kudos go to our competitors Team Pinboard: Bien Living Design and Pantomime Papers for creatively repurposing the entire doormat. Thank you both so much for participating!
Here’s what people said about Team Ahoy:
•“Something about that cute little whale with “Ahoy” makes me smile.”
•“I think I would give this one to Team Ahoy (but I have a slight obsession with all things nautical, so I might be biased!)”
•“So cute!! That little whale makes me so happy!”
Here’s what people said about Team Pinboard:
- “SO…I totally love the stenciled design…but the pinboard wins hands down in my book because it repurposed the whole thing! LOVE it!!”
- “Oooh, I think they’re both really cute! I never would have thought to turn a doormat into a pinboard”
- “Both look awesome, and the pinboard is really out of the box”
- “They are both seriously cute.. I love the concept behind the pinboard one; never would have thought of that!”
Welcome to the first official Design Throwdown! Because of our love for home projects and all things DIY, Kelsey of Minted Life and I decided to launch Design Throwdown. Design Throwdown is a design challenge in which two individuals (or two teams), compete in a redesign of a similar home décor item. We felt this would be a fun way to involve others and share great project ideas.
Here are the rules for entry:
- Find a challenger that wants to participate in the Design Throwdown. You can either compete one on one or in teams.
- Agree on timeline, budget (if necessary) and home décor item to redo. Items must be similar in size, style and quality (examples: mirror, bookshelf, chair, etc).
- Get as creative as possible and, think outside the box. You want to win, right??
- Submit photos of the redesign process and before and after photos.
- Start the throwdown! Have fun!! And good luck!
- If you want to participate in a Design Throwdown, email us!
Check out the the first Design Throwdown between Team Ahoy: Kelsey and I and Team Pinboard: Bien Living Design and Pantomime Papers . For our throw down we chose to redesign an IKEA door mat.
How we made the Door Mat:
1. We drew and cut our own stencils.
2. Placed the stencils on the mat. We used felt sticky letters to stencil the “Ahoy”
3.Painted the mat with red, white and blue spay paint
4. Let dry for 20 min. and done!
Update: Results are in!
Vote for your favorite throw down below!