DIY Terrarium

After a long sabbatical, I decided to have a craft meet up last weekend. I’ve been zealously pinning terrariums all week, and set out to make one for every room in my house. Fortunately, I wasn’t alone in this plan and several other peeps wanted to join in and make DIY Terrariums. Thank you to my friends for your participation and enthusiasm–crafting is so much more fun when we are doing it together!

Here is what you need for the job:

Soil:
sand, rocks, gravel- you can mix and match according to your plant of choice. I use rocks on the bottom for drainage and then add topsoil.

Plants: Succulents, Air plants, Ferns, Fake plants- fake moss or succulents look very realistic.

Container-Vase, glass bowl, light bulb, Mason jar, Starbucks bottle- you can use anything really, so get creative!

To amp up the cute factor, we added tiny animals and Miniature Toy Figures to our terrariums. For small figurines check the doll house section at your local craft store, or a 25 cent toy machine at the grocery store. I just thought of it, but a LIL HOMIES figurine would have been perfect …next time.

Gutting a light bulb is quite a feat, but we managed to achieve it without injury. Here is a great post via Hipster Home on how to make a light bulb terrarium. Also, another helpful resource for instructions is Terrarium Craft: Create 50 Magical, Miniature Worlds. For more pics of our craft meet up check out Kelsey’s recap via Minted Life and Monica’s recap via Nona’s Market.

My  sister-in-law Tori lives out of town, but wanted to participate from afar. She created this beautiful table lamp terrarium.

P.S. For the occasion I made everyone these terrarium prints-

11 Comments on DIY Terrarium

1. karin jenkins
    September 15, 2011 at 6:05 pm (5 years ago)

super cute, morgana!!! maybe i’ll make one for here :)

• Morgana
      September 15, 2011 at 6:13 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks Karin !

2. Monica at NonasMarket.com
    September 15, 2011 at 6:15 pm (5 years ago)

I used to collect HOMIES in highschool!! I wonder where they went?? My friend and I used to go to this ONE grocery because they were the only place we could find them. :) HOMIES for sure next time!

• Morgana
      September 15, 2011 at 6:48 pm (5 years ago)

Hahaha I knew we’d be on the same page. Lil homie’s rule!

3. kelsey
    September 15, 2011 at 6:54 pm (5 years ago)

I had such a good time!! And I love everyone’s terrarium. I can’t wait until the next craft club!

4. Michele Rose
    September 15, 2011 at 8:09 pm (5 years ago)

I loved these terrariums! I especially reacted to the terrariums that look like places..I want to make one of the Lost Pines Park Bastrop, TX.
    Tori’s is also very colorful. great work!

5. drollgirl
    September 16, 2011 at 3:59 pm (5 years ago)

so frakking adorable!!!!!

6. Ada @ New York
    September 22, 2011 at 5:55 pm (5 years ago)

I love the tiny tv ..kinda reminds me of Patrick Star’s home Iif he had an interior decorator) from the cartoon Spongebob Squarepants.

7. mel mccarthy
    November 21, 2011 at 10:04 pm (5 years ago)

What a fabulous post & amazing terrarium. These would make the best gifts, for guys or gals. Thanks for all of the instructions & links as well.

8. Hope Holubowicz
    November 5, 2012 at 3:32 pm (4 years ago)

I am looking to make something like this that I am able to keep in my room which has little sunlight. Do you know of any indoor plants that need little to no sunlight? I have been trying to find the name of the plant that grows in water, and you just keep breaking parts off and putting them into other jars, but I’ve had no such luck. If you have any ideas that would be great!

Thanks,