Fun with plasti-dip

For our first meet-up the craft of choice was PLASTI-DIP , a rubberizing paint, normally used to coat tool handles and such. Inspired by beautiful plasti-dipped origami; my heart raced with the possibilities of all the chincey knick knacks that could be turned chic with one dip. Fellow creative Kelsey from Minted Life saw the same vision and a craft meet-up date was set. FC crafters brought tons of fun objects, keys, twigs, origami, paper balls and figurines to dip. A big thank you to all the FC craft crew for making this event awesome.
Here are the results:
Here’s How to Dip:
  1. Warning! This craft should only be done outside to allow for ventilation, but even outside the smell was intense.
  2. Tie wire or string around the object you wish to dip
  3. Stir plasti –dip outside over a covered surface (this stuff does not come out!)
  4. Using string or wire slowly dip object
  5. Slowly remove object and allow for it to drip briefly over the dip
  6. Hang object to drip dry over a covered area
  7. Dry time takes approximately 30-40 minutes and to get a thicker coat you may re-dip if needed.
Lessons learned: Plasti-dip takes longer to dry in rainy weather. Its toxic smell is intense, and without a mask your throat will burn.  This was an ambitious craft that turned out to be decidedly more complicated than expected. It’s very difficult to get a perfect dip, but the end result is pretty cute…. look how nice the sea urchin shell turned out!
You can order plasti-dip at AMAZONor GarageToys.
Now you can mix your own colors and plasti dip comes in a spray too!

45 Comments on Fun with plasti-dip

1. kateburns76
    January 24, 2011 at 4:06 am (4 years ago)

LOVE IT! Thank you. Need to find this stuff in Australia.

2. Stacy
    April 11, 2011 at 5:28 pm (3 years ago)

How fantastic! I need to do this…

• Morgana
      April 11, 2011 at 6:08 pm (3 years ago)

It’s fun, you should try it!

3. Brenda
    December 27, 2011 at 1:31 pm (3 years ago)

Does it continue to smell after it is dried?

• Morgana
      December 27, 2011 at 2:11 pm (3 years ago)

The smell goes away after a few days of drying.

4. Deborah
    January 6, 2012 at 6:50 pm (3 years ago)

I’ve dipped Ikea flatware handles in red plasti dip and blue for my beach house. Also “painted” the bottoms of baskets in plasti dip so they don’t scratch table tops and they are water resistent if I put plants or anything damp in the basket.

• Morgana
      January 6, 2012 at 7:46 pm (3 years ago)

What great ideas!!! Thanks for sharing :)

5. jessica
    January 8, 2012 at 12:35 pm (3 years ago)

I’ve been looking for this so thank you! Can you please tell me if any has used the spray before? and how it worked relative to the dipped one? (how it worked = outcome…)

Thanks!

• Morgana
      January 19, 2012 at 6:05 pm (3 years ago)

I’ve never used the spray before. If I do I’ll do a post and share the details.

• c
        September 2, 2012 at 12:39 pm (2 years ago)

have you tried the spray yet?

• Morgana
          September 11, 2012 at 11:18 pm (2 years ago)

no not yet.

6. Kayla
    January 8, 2012 at 1:53 pm (3 years ago)

I wonder if this would work with faux flowers… You could do a bouquet of monochrome plasti-flowers!

• Morgana
      January 19, 2012 at 6:04 pm (3 years ago)

Love that idea!

7. Stephanie
    January 15, 2012 at 12:08 pm (3 years ago)

Do you peel the stuff off your original item or are you strickly coating it?

• Morgana
      January 15, 2012 at 6:39 pm (3 years ago)

No you don’t have to peel, you can coat as is. The plasti-dip adheres really well to most objects. :)

• Mary Anne
        November 29, 2012 at 10:35 am (2 years ago)

Can you coat plastic? I wonder if there will be a unwanted chemical reaction if you dip a vinyl or plastic object…say a toy or plastic figure.

Also, how much stronger is a dipped object? could you coat a dried leaf and not have it crumble?

Nice to see plasti dip comes in white now. decades ago, I tried it and the colors were horribly limited…

8. kathy betzen
    January 20, 2012 at 7:33 am (3 years ago)

I love using this stuff, BUT!! it does not have a long shelf life after you open it. My smaller 14.5 oz can came with a plastic lid to keep and it hardened solid after 6 o. of sitting on the shelf. Funnn Funnn, but for a short run, for that price.

• Morgana
      January 20, 2012 at 8:53 am (3 years ago)

So true, plasti-dip does not last long after first use. The small cannisters dry up very quickly. I bought a big gallon container and it lasted a couple of weeks, I hammered the lid closed then wrapped in saran wrap.

• cody
        July 17, 2013 at 7:52 am (1 year ago)

if your plasti dip dries up you can use Xylene, Toulene, or Naphtha .you can find them all at home depo, menards, and farm and fleet.there are also some environmentally friendly thinners but im drawing a blank as to what they are. you can most likely find the names of them if you search “green thinners for plasti dip” or something similar. DONT BE AFRAID OF USING TOO MUCH. if you thin it out too much you can just leave it outside with the lid off and it will evaporate after a day or two, depending on how much you used. you can also thin it at a ratio of 1:1 and spray it through a “wagner power painter…or a similar sprayer”. people actually paint their cars with it. if they get tired of the color they JUST PEEL IT RIGHT OFF…I absolutely love this stuff and i have had so much fun with it!!! i hope you get the chance to experience some of the awesome stuff that i have with it. USE YOUR IMAGINATION!
        LIVE LONG AND PROSPER.
        CODY-THE PLASTI KING :)
        P.S. if you live in california you can only get the above mentioned thinners online(illegal to sell in cali). BUT YOU ARE IN LUCK BECAUSE HOME DEPO SELLS AN ALTERNATIVE THAT IS SAFER AND BETTER FOR OUR OTHER EARTH. ITS CALLED “Industrial Maintenance Coating Thinner” AND IT WORKS JUST AS WELL. GOOD LUCK!!!

9. max
    January 25, 2012 at 5:31 pm (3 years ago)

i wonder what would happen if instead of plasti-dip plain plaster was used?

• Morgana
      January 29, 2012 at 4:35 pm (3 years ago)

It would probably look nice, but be more fragile.

10. ana
    February 25, 2012 at 11:53 pm (3 years ago)

How did the paper cranes turn out? does it work well on delicate materials like paper?

• sallypage
      May 20, 2012 at 7:50 pm (2 years ago)

did anyone respond to you about the paper cranes or have you tried and what was your results

• Morgana
        September 11, 2012 at 11:19 pm (2 years ago)

use a sturdy stock paper if possible.

11. Kathleen O'Rourke
    February 28, 2012 at 10:33 pm (3 years ago)

I saw the plasti-dip project on Pinterest (that site is so wonderful!) and followed the link back here. I wanted to share what I had done with this product. I had bought a small pint (or quart?) container in bright yellow from the hardware store to coat some tool handles. My father had just had a stroke & had been moved to an assisted living facility that was in a woman’s home. She had 3 patients (one was semi-comatose), two of which needed some assistance feeding themselves. I took some old silverware and coated the handles of the forks, spoons, knives & new toothbrushes for my father & the other patient. I tied and/or taped string to the non-handle end of each item. I prepared a place outside by putting newspaper under the grill, which had wood slats that I would tie the string holding each object while they dried. I dipped several times until the handles were thick enough that their impaired hands could hold them easier; then hung them to dry for several hours. The yellow color gave the advantage of being able to be seen easier by weak eyes dimmed by over 90 years of living. Both patients were then able to eat their food & brush their teeth with less assistance, giving them more self confidence & esteem.

• elise
      April 7, 2013 at 1:01 pm (1 year ago)

I love this! Thanks for sharing your story.

12. jamie
    March 1, 2012 at 4:41 pm (3 years ago)

the substance is highly toxic and I would not bring these items into my home

• Jason
      February 9, 2013 at 7:34 pm (2 years ago)

Lol, it’s toxic to walk out of the house, I would just stay inside

13. Shara
    March 28, 2012 at 9:31 am (2 years ago)

I used the Plasti Dip to dip my CutCo knives. I used the black and found it in a local hardware store. The reason I used this is so that the knives that normally have to be handwashed could be put into the dishwasher. I love to try to purchase products made in the US and the Cutco knives are inexpensive and some of the best everday knives I have purchased. They made a great fundraiser for my daughter’s school.

14. Bry
    November 29, 2012 at 10:04 am (2 years ago)

Anything you can smell like that is off-gassing some pretty toxic chemicals and will continue to do so to some extent. Bad stuff.

15. Mary Anne
    November 29, 2012 at 10:49 am (2 years ago)

Heads up folks…I found this important info here:

NOTE: The 1 gallon & 5 gallon Rubber Dip products are not to be sold into or used in the State of California.”

Also, this company charges a $25.00 Hazmat fee in addition to the cost of the 5 gallon containers. Its very toxic…even after its disposed of.

I don’t know if it off gases…but you might not want to have your finished crafts around pets and or children. especially birds. It might be a good idea to read the materials data sheets for these products online before ordering it.

• Experimentor
      April 19, 2013 at 8:27 am (1 year ago)

Actually, it’s better to bring the stuff in and let it dry right next to the bird cage. What better way to tell if it’s as toxic as everyone says? The ol’ canary in the plasti-dip studio technique. Been around for centuries. (Unless, of course, you agree that birds should be free creatures who fly around outside, not caged up inside people’s houses in the first place.)

16. Diane
    January 1, 2013 at 2:39 pm (2 years ago)

This would be great for outdoor items..like gardening tools!
    Then you don’t have to worry about the toxic fumes that continue after completion.

17. Kristin
    March 1, 2013 at 5:00 am (2 years ago)

You all DO realize that carpets, finished wood floors, painted walls and cabinets, dry cleaning solution left on your cloths and putting plastic in the microwave ALL leach VERY toxic chemicals into your home environment??? Are you going to rid your house of all these things AND the plasti-Dip?? Our entire world is extremely toxic, hence the reason cancer is out of control. Don’t get me started on cosmetics and how they are mostly made with petroleum. Yes, the stuff you put in your car. And don’t forget cell phones/blue tooth/ microwaves/ wifi ugh! The list goes on and on!! It all causes disease!! It’s best to pick your battles, have fun where you can (be it plasti-dip…GO FOR IT!) and be sure you CLEANSE at the cellular level every couple months, even once a month. There are lots of great cleanses out there. Make use of them. You can’t avoid all the toxins. You have to LIVE.

• Karin McCombe Jones
      May 7, 2013 at 7:19 pm (1 year ago)

I followed a Pinterest link to here. Thanks for sharing. I have now been reading through comments and LOVE your final one Kristen about LIVING. Totally agree.

• Lynn
      June 10, 2013 at 7:41 pm (1 year ago)

Ah, the voice of reason.

18. Kathryn
    June 23, 2013 at 5:37 am (1 year ago)

What was the bird originally?

19. Elanawolf830
    June 25, 2013 at 5:15 pm (1 year ago)

Can you paint the object after it has dried?

20. Hannah
    August 1, 2013 at 10:37 am (1 year ago)

I have really been interested in this technic and think that it is great. I am going to try it out… I understand that it made out of chemicals (like many things) and want to know how long people have left it outside before bringing it indoors? Any recommendations when using it? I guess a mask, how about protective glasses? Is this being over kill?

21. Tuesday
    August 22, 2013 at 12:51 pm (1 year ago)

I’m interested in created plate-dip origami cranes and painting them for wedding favors. I see you tried to do the same here, but I don’t see a final example. Was there a type of paper that held up best for the paper cranes? Should I try to use a thicker paper? Or did it not work out that well?

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Fun with plasti-dip

1. [...] I did it again. Yes, I  plasti-dipped. Why? Well because I had a gallon of it left over from the last go round. The plasti-dip, having sat in my garage untouched for over two months now, was a bit on the thick [...]